Church Building History

The First Baptist Church of Salisbury, Missouri was organized on January 19th, 1867 with Louis Ellige serving as pastor. There were 25 charter members. The church originally met at the Union Church two miles south of Salisbury. After one year the congregation moved into Salisbury and began meeting at City Hall. In 1869 a new church building was started and completed in 1871 at a cost of $3,422.22. The frame building was 64 x 40 feet with a spire reaching 118 feet high.

With the need for a larger building, a red brick church building was constructed on the same site in 1910 and completed in 1911 at a cost of $16,000. The beautiful stained glass windows were installed at that time. Rev. A. F. Pearson conducted formal dedication of the new building on November 20, 1911.

The first parsonage was purchased in 1926, then replaced in 1945. The current parsonage, a brick ranch style home, was obtained in 1974.

In 1977 a house across the street, known as the Amex, was purchased to provide additional classrooms. It was later sold in 1989, the church voted to purchase the Weimer property (formerly known as the Chevrolet Garage) next door. The building was remodeled and on January 20, 1991, an open house and dedication of The Fellowship Hall was held with Rev. Bill Watts as the guest speaker.

Five years before the church building turned 100, discussion of major structural improvements began as a very damp basement and the need for more space were evident. From 2006-2008, the many needs were met through improvements including Plexiglas-glass protection for the stained glass windows, new roof, tuck-pointed brick, new concrete stairway to the south-east corner entrance, and a new church sign among other upgrades.

On August 16, 2009 the church voted to proceed with a building addition to the north lot that included classrooms, bathrooms, kitchen, and a large multi-purpose room. (This addition is known as The Joshua House.) Construction began July 2010, and through many miracles and God's perfect timing, the project was completed at a cost of $350,000 before the approaching centennial anniversary. On November 20, 2011, exactly 100 years after the original dedication. A Homecoming and Dedication Service was conducted with Rev. Nathan Argent officiating and Rev. Dwain Carter as the guest speaker.